February 5 the Friends and Warren Heritage Society co-sponsored a presentation by Patrick Farris, executive director of the WHS, on the pre-historic native American presence in Warren County. Patrick highlighted “Lost Arrowheads and Broken Pottery”, a book by archaeologist William M. Gardner about the early 1970s excavations at the Thunderbird Site and the Flint Run Paleoindian Complex along the river just outside the Park. Copies of the book are available for sale at the Heritage Society on Chester Street in Front Royal.
Meetings: April 21, to celebrate Earth Day, we will be doing some planting in the Park - details to follow. Map and Directions for the Park
Like us on Facebook!
- WV's Canaan Valley State Park opens new shooting range - State JournalWV's Canaan Valley State Park opens new shooting rangeState JournalWhile the debate about guns continues in Washington, one West Virginia state park is celebrating the opening of a new shooting range. The Sporting Clay and Shooting Facility at Canaan Valley State Park in Davis opened May 17, but won't be open to the ...and more »
- Tagged channel catfish to be stocked in West Virginia State Park lakes - Exponent-telegramTagged channel catfish to be stocked in West Virginia State Park lakesExponent-telegramPARKERSBURG — As part of a cooperative effort with West Virginia State Parks, a total of 400 tagged channel catfish will be stocked into five state park lakes, including: Cacapon State Park Lake, Cedar Creek State Park Lake, Chief Logan State Park ...and more »
- Va. State Parks to host 3 outdoors summits - The Virginian-PilotVa. State Parks to host 3 outdoors summitsThe Virginian-PilotMore than 100 young people are expected to attend three outdoors summits hosted by Virginia State Parks this summer. The three-day summits will be held June 7-9 at Natural Tunnel State Park in Duffield, July 12-14 at First Landing State Park in ...and more »
- West Virginia State Parks present: The Roots of Un-Civil War; 250th ... - Exponent-telegramWest Virginia State Parks present: The Roots of Un-Civil War; 250th ...Exponent-telegramSOUTH CHARLESTON — In West Virginia, 2013 will be marked by numerous historical commemorative events highlighting the year 1863. That's the year the American Civil War brought about great changes to our nation, not the least of which was the federal ...
- Virginia State Parks Hosts Variety of Outside Activities - Broadway WorldVirginia State Parks Hosts Variety of Outside ActivitiesBroadway WorldBack to basics may be cliché, but as technology distracts all ages with apps and virtual lifestyles, state parks are fielding more and more inquiries by youth groups, families and organizations looking for some basic outdoor activities or entertainment ...and more »
- Virginia State Parks recognize Earth Day - WDBJ7Virginia State Parks recognize Earth DayWDBJ7April 22 marks the 43rd celebration of Earth Day, the grassroots environmental awareness event celebrated in 175 countries. To mark the occasion, Virginia State Parks will offer programming and volunteerism events and introduce a new recycling program ...West Virginia State celebrates Earth DayDaily Mail - Charles […]
- Catfish stockings beginning mid-May in W.Va. - WTRFCatfish stockings beginning mid-May in W.Va.WTRFPARKERSBURG, W.Va. (AP) - Catfish stocking is beginning in mid-May at West Virginia's state parks. Division of Natural Resources Director Frank Jezioro says catfishing is increasing in popularity with young people and the agency is making it even more ...and more »
- State parks celebrating Cornstalk's campaign anniversary - Point Pleasant RegisterState parks celebrating Cornstalk's campaign anniversaryPoint Pleasant Register... Un-Civil War” series of events will be presented beginning May 4 and continue throughout the summer, in conjunction with the West Virginia Humanities Council, The New River Gorge National River, Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia State ...and more »
- Family Fun for 'Kids to Parks Day' - Patch.comFamily Fun for 'Kids to Parks Day'Patch.comnew_asset_attachment_attributes. National Kids to Parks Day celebrations are being held Saturday in all 35 Virginia State Parks, including those closest to Fredericksburg -- Lake Anna State Park and Westmoreland State Park. Lake Anna State Park ...
- Canaan Valley Resort Dedicates Sporting Clays Target Field - WBOY-TVCanaan Valley Resort Dedicates Sporting Clays Target FieldWBOY-TVVa.) attended the opening of the Sporting Clay and Shooting Facility at the Canaan Valley State Park. "Recreational shooting ranges and West Virginia state parks are a natural fit," Manchin said. "This is a wonderful new addition to Canaan Valley State ...
- WV's Canaan Valley State Park opens new shooting range - State Journal