February 5 the Friends and Warren Heritage Society co-sponsored a presentation by Patrick Farris, executive director of the WHS, on the pre-historic native American presence in Warren County. Patrick highlighted “Lost Arrowheads and Broken Pottery”, a book by archaeologist William M. Gardner about the early 1970s excavations at the Thunderbird Site and the Flint Run Paleoindian Complex along the river just outside the Park. Copies of the book are available for sale at the Heritage Society on Chester Street in Front Royal.
Meetings: Our December meeting on Tuesday the 3rd is a planning session for 2014. Everyone is welcome - bring your ideas for what you would like to do next year. 6pm at the Park visitor's center. Map and Directions for the Park
Like us on Facebook!
- Audit can't account for W.Va. park money - Morning Journal NewsAudit can't account for W.Va. park moneyMorning Journal NewsNEW CUMBERLAND, W.Va. - A four-year state audit of the Hancock County Parks and Recreation Board could not account for tens of thousands of dollars in payroll, marina and vendor expenses. The audit, which covers the fiscal years 2009 through 2012, ...and more »
- Veterans Day Weekend Marked at Va. Attractions - WHSVVeterans Day Weekend Marked at Va. AttractionsWHSVIn recognition of Veterans Day weekend, the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests are waiving fees at all day use recreation sites. Finally, Virginia State Parks will waive parking fees on Monday. Over the weekend, the Virginia Department of ...and more »
- WVDA and Bayer CropScience Join Forces to Protect Cathedral State Park From ... - PR Web (press release)WVDA and Bayer CropScience Join Forces to Protect Cathedral State Park From ...PR Web (press release)The State of West Virginia is grateful to Bayer for the generous donation of their products,” said W. Va. Commissioner of Ag Walt Helmick. “Places such as Cathedral forest are a benefit to all of us today, and will also be a benefit to future generations.
- Virginia should reclaim Shenandoah's splendors - Roanoke TimesVirginia should reclaim Shenandoah's splendorsRoanoke Times“We the people” own these parks, and “we the people” need new managers who won't shut down the Shenandoah National Park, costing many Virginians their jobs, quarantining family outings and chasing visitors away from Virginia, as President Obama did in ...Local teacher to create state's […]
- Christmas events are on-going in the area - TriCities.comChristmas events are on-going in the areaTriCities.com31, Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park to presents event. Visitors may tour the Festival of Trees during regular museum hours nad during special night viewings Dec. 7, 14, 21, 28, from 5-8 p.m. 276-523-1322. OLDE ABINGDON CHRISTMAS ...
- U.Va. facing UCLA in women's soccer semis - Richmond Times DispatchU.Va. facing UCLA in women's soccer semisRichmond Times DispatchThe last time Virginia's women's soccer team walked off the pitch at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C., it had just lost 4-2 in the ACC semifinals to in-state rival Virginia Tech, its only defeat of the year. “We were very disappointed about what ...and more »
- Va. senator's son dies in home after dad stabbed - Asbury Park PressVa. senator's son dies in home after dad stabbedAsbury Park PressFILE - In a Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2009 file photom Democratic gubernatorial candidate and Virginia State Sen. Creigh Deeds makes a speech to supporters after losing the Virginia governor's race to Republican Bob McDonnell, in Richmond, Va. At far left is ...and more »
- Wayne on verge of breaking former Fayette County school's state-record winning ... - Charleston GazetteWayne on verge of breaking former Fayette County school's state-record winning ...Charleston GazetteShe and her husband still reside in nearby Ansted, which is known mostly for Hawks Nest State Park and Tom Pridemore, the former West Virginia University standout who later played in the NFL. Pridemore, who played on Ansted's back-to-back state title […]
- comment(s) - Fayetteville Observercomment(s)Fayetteville ObserverDouglas and her Cavalier teammates join two other ACC schools, Virginia Tech and Florida State, in the tournament. The fourth team is UCLA, Virginia's first-round opponent today at 7:30 p.m. at WakeMed Park. Florida State and Virginia Tech meet in the ...and more »
- No. 1 Florida State moves past Winston accusation - KATVABC NewsNo. 1 Florida State moves past Winston accusationKATVThe former governor of Virginia, Wilder met Mandela...More >> ... National Park Service volunteers Donna and John Buckley said they weren't optimistic that a pod of 41 stranded pilot whales would survive in shallow Florida Everglades waters. They and ...Only Duke can keep Heisman from Wi […]
- Audit can't account for W.Va. park money - Morning Journal News